Reading Time: 3 minutes

Yoga

After focusing a lot on lesson planning and teaching yoga to students I have been inspired to take yoga classes. The type of yoga I usually do is Yin Yoga and I find it to be very relaxing and helps with stress. In school, yoga is an activity that not a lot of teachers teach students anymore, but is something that I want to include when I become a teacher because I believe it has many benefits for students. Such as, help students with stress or anxiety, teach strategies for their mental well-being, and introduce students to movements they may not normally experience in PE class.

Kick Boxing 

pair of pink boxing glovesKickboxing is an activity that I enjoy, that helps me stay physically active and healthy. I believe that it is important to stay physically active for our health. As teachers it is our job to introduce students to a variety of different activities and sports. By doing this students can find what they enjoy so that they can continue to stay active to keep a lifelong healthy lifestyle. Physical activity is not only important for your body, but it is also important for your mind. Exercise can help relieve stress, give you more energy, and promote the growth of new brain cells. 

Ceramics

When I was in elementary school my grade four and five teacher included ceramics in our art classes. Then when I was in high school I took a few ceramics classes because I found it to be really enjoyable. Because I really enjoyed this, I take pottery classes once a week outside of university. Since I had fun with ceramics in elementary school I feel that when I am a teacher I can use this skill to help students experience this as well. Ceramics is an activity that can help students develop fine motor skills, relieve stress, and foster creativity.

Embroidery 

When I ran summer camps in high school one of my supervisors taught me how to embroider. It was a skill that took a lot of practice, but I have improved a lot. I also find that embroidery is a good activity for myself because it is easy to take with me on the go, so whenever I have free time and need something to do, I can embroider. During my technology class myself and another classmate did inquiry projects on embroidery. Since my classmate had never embroidered before I had the pleasure to help teach her how to embroider.