Reading Time: 2 minutes

I am a third year student in the University of Victoria’s Elementary Education program.

What inspired me to be a teacher was my grade four/five teacher and my high school spanish teacher. My grade four/five teacher supported me in my learning and went above and beyond to make sure the lessons he was teaching were very engaging and relevant to everyday life. My high school spanish teacher focused a lot on inquiry based learning and building the curriculum together. This was one of the first times I had a teacher ask me what I wanted to learn. Even though we worked as a class to decide what we wanted to learn, we still met the requirements of the B.C. Curriculum. These teachers made my learning experience more enjoyable and memorable and I want to do the same for my future students. When learning is made into an enjoyable and fun experience students retain more information.

My teaching philosophy to put in extra work to help students who are struggling, regardless of if they have been diagnosed with a disability. Unfortunately many students like myself go throughout most of school without being tested for a learning disability. Luckily I had a few teachers while I was in elementary school who put in the extra work to help me succeed. As a result I want to do the same for the students I am teaching, because I know how much of a difference it made for me.